Behold, She Stinketh

The latest pronouncement of the Venezuelan government boggles the mind. It will no longer be granting access to dollars for importers of deodorant. The logic behind this? Smelling bad for a nation of extremely clean people would be humiliating—and humiliation is just another means of subjugation.

My only consolation comes from my mother's experience. As she grew older, she stopped sweating. There was no longer any need for deodorant. I hit the big 60 this year. Do I dare hope that by the time I can't buy deodorant here, I will no longer have any need for it?

To every experience there seems to be a Biblical truth. My prayer is that no matter what the body exudes, my life will give off the sweet aroma of Christ. Paul writes: "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?" (2 Corinthians 2:14-16).

I pray that you and I will smell good today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone