I'd Rather Not Move Until You Take My Hand

Though I haven't been chosen to rule a kingdom, I can empathize with Solomon. When the Lord appeared to the new king in a dream, as recorded for us in 1 Kings 3, God asked Solomon what his greatest desire was. Solomon replied: "…I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours" —1 Kings 3:7-9, NIV.

The heart of the request comes in: "give your servant a discerning heart…" Part of my task is that of discovering and mobilizing people to do ministry. In the weeks that I have been here, I've begun to investigate and observe. Sheets of information on the gifts that have been identified in members of the congregation have been handed to me. However, paper, as good as it is, doesn't tell me what's in their hearts. Last night I listened to the testimonies of five people who were being considered for membership and caught myself thinking about where they might "plug in" to church life. The more I think the less I seem to know.

That's why Solomon's request strikes a chord. I realize that despite the tools at my disposal and my best efforts in doing the job, I need what Solomon asked for. Without a discerning heart, I will not know the who?, what?, when?, where?, and how? of equipping the saints for ministry.

Perhaps I want to move too fast in this process. We are often driven by what seems to be urgent rather than moved by the Spirit of God according to the perfect timing and rhythm of God's plan. This latter highlights another good reason for having a discerning heart. Even the right person for the right job at the wrong time can create a whole lot of grief.

So I ask the Lord for a discerning heart. I have no kingdom, but his. I do not govern, I only facilitate. I don't have people to chose from too numerous to count; my choices are much more limited. I'm not even a little child, but sometimes I do get headed somewhere that is not my path to walk.

A discerning heart would be a really good thing, Lord.

Comments

  1. I've enjoyed a visit to your blog today! And a comment on this specific post - I think I get into the most trouble - or just lost - when I am forgetting to rely on Him for everything, especially discernment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone