When Things Don't Look Like They Are Going to Happen

Exodus 5-7

This is what the Lord, the God of Israel says: ‘Let my people go…’” (5:1).

And as much as Pharaoh tried to stop God, there was no way God wasn’t going to accomplish his purposes.

The ruler of Egypt was defiant and said he didn’t know this God so why should he obey him (5:2).

He made excuses for his own convenience: “These people have too much time on their hands, let’s give them more to do and they’ll stop wanting to take off” (5:4ff).

He made life impossible for the Israelites by withholding the materials they needed to do the work assigned to them (5:14ff).

The people were upset and so was Moses because of all these obstacles (5:22f).

But God …

The Lord renewed his promises to his people: “…I am the Lord…I will bring you out…I will free you…I will redeem you with an outstretched hand and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God…I will bring you to the land I swore with uplifted hand to give…I will give it to you as a possession. I am the Lord” (6:6-8).

The Israelites were too stressed to believe that truth and Moses felt like he wasn’t capable of pulling this off (6:9-12).

And God …

Moses thought he’d never make it, but God came alongside to encourage him. He explained exactly what would happen—that Pharaoh wouldn’t listen, not because Moses wasn’t the most eloquent speaker but because he would choose to refuse God and eventually would reach a point of no return when God would punish him. This allowed Moses to understand that it didn’t depend on him to make things happen; it depended on God.

The lesson is important. We worry that we haven’t covered all our bases, that we will have messed up somewhere along the line, that we aren’t capable. God comes along to remind us that while all that might be true, HE WILL carry out his plan and purpose. The end result depends on him, not on us.

He will keep his promises.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this reminder today, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is such an encouragement! I especially appreciated the part that the end results are up to God, not me! My part is simple obedience. And by the way - God bless you as you continue to follow Him. I pray that things so smoothly and God blesses your new appointment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone