Cover Me

Ruth 1-4

"May the Lord repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge" —Ruth 2:12

Ruth had returned to Bethlehem with her mother-in-law, Naomi. Her husband was dead, as was her father-in-law and her brother-in-law. She was a Moabite, not exactly someone who would be received well in Israel. But Ruth determined to stay with Naomi, even claiming the God of the Israelites as her own. Times were tough, until she began to glean at the edges of the the fields that belonged to Boaz.

He was not unaware of what Noami had done in helping her mother-in-law. He pronounces this blessing on her, little knowing that he would be able to act as her Kinsman-Redeemer, and buy her into his own household.

As I read these words the lyrics of an old hymn written by William Orcutt Cushing (1823-1902) came to mind.

1. Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, and I am His child.

Refrain

Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.


2. Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort, and there I am blessed.


3. Under His wings, oh, what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide till life’s trials are o’er;
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus, I’m safe evermore.



Under the wings of Jesus, our Kinsman-Redeemer, we can safely find shelter. Ruth would come to Boaz and ask him to cover her with the edge of his cloak as a sign of his protection (3:9). So we come to the Lord to ask for what he is so willing to give—his protection.

What a wonderful promise. What a wonderful Redeemer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone