Never Too Far From A Promise

Leviticus 24-27

I’ve seriously toyed with the idea of buying rather than renting an apartment. With the coming of Abby and Lou the possibilities of finding something to rent have shrunk. The cats are complicated. I can’t say that the Lord orchestrated their coming to Canada to force me to take yet another leap of faith and entrust the majority of what I have saved over the years to a piece of property. However, I know enough to be able to say that nothing happens by accident.

This morning’s reading included a section on buying and selling. I won’t apply what I read too literally, but I will claim the promise that comes with this passage, should the Lord open the door to buying a place of my own.

Part of my concern about buying is using all the resources I have put aside for retirement and ending up with nothing to sustain me when I stop working.

That concern, so quickly turned to anxiety, means that I am forgetting again the “God factor.” The issue in Leviticus 25 was the Year of Jubilee, and the Sabbath year when the land was to be given a rest. The logical question coming out of God’s instructions was: “What do we eat the year during and after the land has had its rest and while we are waiting for the crops to grow?”

God comes back with the promise: “Follow my decrees and be careful to obey my laws, and you will live safely in the land. Then the land will yield its fruit, and you will eat your fill and live there in safety. You may ask, ‘What will we eat in the seventh year, if we do not plant or harvest our crops?’ I will send such a blessing in the sixth year that the land will yield enough for three years. While you plant during the eighth year, you will eat from the old crop and will continue to eat from it until the harvest of the ninth year comes in’” —Leviticus 25:18-22.

There isn’t a strict parallel between my circumstances and the situation in this chapter, but the promise remains true: If I am obedient to the Lord in what I choose to do, the rest will be looked after by the God who always remains faithful.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone