Happy The Home

In 1979, a gal by the name of Lillian Heron gave me a copy of the New International Version of the Bible. I have pretty much worn its cover and its pages out over the years. It has become my favourite copy of the many I have. I suspect it is my favourite because the print is large and the margins are wide, allowing me to write notes throughout.

When I come to Proverbs 3, just about all thirty-five of the verses have an asterisk beside them. At some point I went through the chapter and put a mark beside all the benefits of wisdom that the chapter mentions. Proverbs is a book of wise advice, but this chapter specifically focuses on the good stuff that comes when godly wisdom becomes a chief characteristic of a believer.

Today as I sit in my new office with a new desk and a new chapter in my life's book before me, I was reminded of the words of Proverbs 3:33: "...he blesses the home of the righteous."

This new place is a great gift (even if the smoke alarms go off in the middle of the night for no apparent reason). I am grateful to the Lord for it. But I am also conscious that it is only a great gift if the Lord blesses it. And He only guarantees that blessing if the people who dwell here honour Him with righteousness.

Therein lies the challenge for all of us.

If you read the Proverb you will see that for every instruction that is followed comes the promise of what God guarantees to provide. Here is one:

"My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, 
do not let them out of your sight;
they will be life for you,
an ornament to grace your neck.
Then you will go on your way in safety, 
and your foot will not stumble;
when you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet" (33:21-24).

Henry Ware Jr. (1798-1843) wrote these words:

Happy the home when God is there,
And love fills every breast;
When one their wish, and one their prayer,
And one their heav’nly rest.


Happy the home where Jesus’ Name
Is sweet to every ear;
Where children early speak His fame,
And parents hold Him dear.


Happy the home where prayer is heard,
And praise each day does rise;
Where parents love the sacred Word
And all its wisdom prize.


Lord, let us in our homes agree
This blessèd peace to gain;
Unite our hearts in love to Thee,
And love to all will reign
.

This is the place we all need to be, whether it is a new place or an already established one. This is the home God blesses. My prayer is that this new place and new page will be all that He wants them to be. Then we will indeed be blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone