Approaching God—Yesterday and Tomorrow


The last book of the Bible, Revelation, describes in part at least, future things. Much of that prophecy shows us a redeemed people worshiping Almighty God. They do and will continue to recognize His holiness and do as is announced in Revelation 4:8, 9 (NIV): “Day and night they never stop saying: ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come. Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne…
Then, as I look back at Exodus 19, I see a similar scene. A holy God has made His throne the top of Mount Sinai. The people are instructed to approach Him in a way that recognizes His holiness. “And the Lord said to Moses, ‘Go to the people and consecrate them today and tomorrow. Have them wash their clothes and be ready by the third day, because on that day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. Put limits for the people around the mountain and tell them, be careful that you do not go up the mountain or touch the foot of it…even the priests, who approach the Lord, must consecrate themselves, or the Lord will break out against them…put limits around the mountain and set it apart as holy’” (19:10-12, 22-23, NIV).
In Christ we are invited to approach God without hesitation. Hebrews 4:16 (NIV) says: “Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in our time of need.” We have access, but not without due reverence given to a holy God.
They clean up nicely!
I am ashamed. Between Exodus and Revelation our approach to God has not, will not, and should not change. But it has. I look at how I prepare to approach Him personally, and how I approach Him in community with my brothers and sisters in Christ and I know that that approach is far from what was and what will be one day.
As I read the passage from Exodus this morning I wondered how I could get back to treating God with the respect and reverence that is due Him in my worship. I’m amazed at how far I’ve moved away and the journey back looks long and challenging. But that little phrase from Exodus pops out again: “…must consecrate themselves, or the Lord will break out against them…” and I know that the ills that the church suffers are rooted in people like me who haven’t spent even five minutes getting themselves spiritually ready to approach God, let alone three days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone