Let Go


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand” —Isaiah 41:10, NIV.

At the end of last week, a dear friend lost a much-loved brother. While her own husband struggles with serious health issues, a sister lies dying in the hospital, a brother-in-law is battling the dreaded “C,” it seems overwhelming that she should now face laying a brother to rest. How much can one person handle?

Then I read Isaiah’s words and realize that my prayer for my friend has already been spoken. The words are old but their familiarity doesn’t breed contempt in God’s ears. He’s listening. He’s ready to bring fresh life to old words and meet my friend in her need.

So much of life is edged with grief. The world presses in and we don’t always know how to respond. Trouble comes. If we only had to handle one trouble at a time we might be able to handle it on our own, but trouble, if it doesn’t actually come in threes as the saying goes, may come in fours and fives and sixes. We realize that we can’t handle even one, let alone four or five.

And God reaches down and whispers: “Don’t be afraid. I’ll look after it. Let go, and let me.”

It’s not easy. The lines between “us” and “Him” sometimes get blurred and we assume His role, a role we were never intended to fulfill and one we fail so miserably at.

The whisper comes again: “Let go, and let me.”

“Let go, and let me.”

“Let go, and let me.”

He is courage in the face of death and grief.

He is calm to deal with calamity.

He is strength in the midst of weakness.

He holds up when falling down is all there is left to do.

He is righteousness when nothing is right.

“Let go, and let me.”

Comments

  1. How do folks make it through without the Lord? How did "I"?

    Great post, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone