20. Pilgrimage to Paradise: Trouble At The Top

Pixabay
This is not a post I enjoyed writing, but then again pilgrimage is not always pleasant. Dealing with the experiences triggered as I looked at 1 Peter 5:1-4 has been a reminder to fix my eyes once again on watching my step in the "here-and-now," putting behind me the "then-and-there," and focussing on the "coming-soon-to-an-eternity-near-you." 

Peter now addresses the possibility of abuse of spiritual authority among those to whom he is writing. Such abuse can take many forms. Here is one scenario.

It begins with a promise, seemingly heart-felt, to ensure that you will be valued as you deserve to be valued. That sounds good until you realize that there is a price attached—unquestioning obedience and a blind eye to evil. That's manipulation.

When you are told to do something or ignore something that you know is wrong, and begin to ask questions, you are met with threats. You are to do what you are told, or else. They are the leaders. They are right. That's intimidation.

Others who ask too many questions are ridiculed or lied about in your hearing and in the hearing of others. It's another way of threatening you to conform. Perhaps, outside of your earshot, you are being talked about too. Anyone who asks questions or expresses concerns about decisions being made will be described as divisive and not welcome in the church. There might be no "fifth column" working behind the scenes to change things, but the disparaging public remarks make it seem as though there is, and that they are the enemy. That's defamation.

Failure to comply results in being sidelined—cut out of staff meetings or fired, gradually eased out of positions of responsibility. You feel the withdrawal of those you thought were friends—perhaps they still are, but just don't want to get involved. That's isolation.

The issue of abuse of spiritual authority is huge. Many of us can name a few of the more prominent abusers and some of us could name one or two of the smaller "fish" who think "bullying for the Kingdom" is a Biblical virtue.

So when I read Peter's instructions to those who were leaders of the persecuted church of his day, my "amens" ring out loudly and clearly.

"To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder and a witness of Christ's sufferings who also will share in the glory to be revealed: be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away." (1 Peter 5:1-4)

Those to whom Peter is writing already had more than their share of trouble. They certainly didn't need any more grief coming from those who had been appointed as their spiritual guides. Whether to avoid future trouble or to address existing trouble, Peter mentions specific issues that he is concerned about, including motivation for ministry and humility in ministry.

It's been a long time since I was in Seminary, so I can't speak to the goals of today's schools that are working to produce the next generation of pastors. I can only hope that they mean to develop shepherds "a la Psalm 23," those who imitate the Good Shepherd, and who are worthy themselves of being imitated because they are imitators of the One of whom it is written:

"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters,
He refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, 
I will fear no evil,
For you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
They comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
In the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love follow me
All the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

I need this kind of shepherd. I'll bet you do to. Peter's readers certainly did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone