16. Pilgrimage to Paradise: Nuts are Not Good

Pixabay
In 1902, E. T. Cassel penned this song:

1. I am a stranger here, within a foreign land;
My home is far away, upon a golden strand;
Ambassador to be of realms beyond the sea,
I’m here on business for my King.

Refrain:
This is the message that I bring,
A message angels fain would sing:
“Oh, be ye reconciled,”
Thus saith my Lord and King,
“Oh, be ye reconciled to God.”

2. This is the King’s command: that all men, everywhere,
Repent and turn away from sin’s seductive snare;
That all who will obey, with Him shall reign for aye,
And that’s my business for my King.

3. My home is brighter far than Sharon’s rosy plain,
Eternal life and joy throughout its vast domain;
My Sov’reign bids me tell how mortals there may dwell,
And that’s my business for my King.

Obviously this was written long after the pilgrims of Peter's day had received his letter encouraging them to remain strong and faithful despite the difficulties of their lives in the face of privation and persecution. But the message was the same—they were not only to endure with their eyes fixed on Christ and the ultimate goal of their journey, they were also to proclaim Christ so that others could have the opportunity to begin that same journey.

Peter writes: "But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. 'Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.' But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. For it is better, if in doing God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil." (1 Peter 3:14-17)

In a couple of weeks I will begin a series with my Bible Study group called Fruit Not Nuts. We will look at one of the lists given in Scripture that describes character traits that should be seen in the lives of believers. The Nuts part of the study refers to the traits we often show that do not mark the gentleness and respect that Peter mentions in his letter. Nuts are not good.

Proclaiming the truth of the Gospel requires displaying the character of the God of the Gospel.

Being defensive, angry, abusive, judgmental, haughty, critical, and a whole host of other negatives when sharing our faith with others will not end well.  Under pressure it is easy to react badly. Fear has a way of putting us on the defensive. Peter is clear when he writes that Christ, not fear, needs to be uppermost in our minds. 

And in modelling Him, who always did what was right even in the face of death, we dig those wells of living water in the arid places (Psalm 84:5-7) where God has put us as His ambassadors of grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone