Times of...

Pixabay
A long spell of brutally hot, humid, weather was broken last night. This morning, as I went out into the backyard to fill the bird feeder and deadhead the pansies, the cool breeze and absence of humidity after last night's cold front and rain filled me with a sense of well-being.

As I sat in my office later a familiar verse came to mind that seemed appropriate not only to the weather but for the world in general. It comes from Acts 3:19 and dovetailed perfectly with my verses of the day from John 3.

Peter, preaching to the crowd in Jerusalem exhorts them to: "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord."

The oppression of sin, the guarantee of the fiery depths of hell, can be dealt with as forgiveness rains down, as the breeze of the Holy Spirit scatters the dying embers of all that holds us down and keeps us behind the fence away from relationship with our Heavenly Father.

Repent. Not a Judas-type repentance that simply says "I'm sorry." He needed to do what Peter says next: "...turn to God" because it is only there, in God's presence at the foot of the cross where forgiveness was bought for us, that refreshing comes.

And that leads me to my verses of the day from John 3:16-18. It says: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."

I appreciated the cool breeze and the lack of humidity this morning as I puttered in my little garden. I was refreshed. But that moment which will pass by the end of next week so the weatherman says served to remind me of the greater refreshing which never ends that comes from knowing Him Who went to the cross in my place.

Have you experienced that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone