Watching and Working

juicylight.com (Google Images)
Yesterday I had the opportunity to share some of the “God-things” that have happened to me in my life's journey to this point. The memories are still capable of bringing tears to my own eyes as I remember the faithfulness of God in completing the work His has started in me (Philippians 1:6) in spite of the twists and turns in life that, at the time, I was unable to understand.

So when I read Psalm 1 this morning I was especially impacted by the last verse: “For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous” (Psalm 1:6, NIV). The Scripture refers to this “watching” or  “knowing” in many places.

Job 23:10: “But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold” (NIV)

Psalm 31:7, 8: “I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love, because you have seen my affliction; you have known the distress of my soul, and you have not delivered me into the hand of the enemy; you have set my feet in a broad place” (ESV).

Psalm 37:18, 19: “The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever; they are not put to shame in evil times, in the days of famine they have abundance” (ESV).

Nahum 1:7: “The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him” (ESV).

John 10:14: “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me…” (ESV).

2 Timothy 2:19: “But God’s firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: ‘The Lord knows those who are his,’ and, ‘Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity” (ESV).

From these few references we see that this “knowing” is not of the passive kind. The architect “knows” his design and ensures that the building He has designed is up to “specs” and turns out as he has planned it.

This assurance for believers encourages us when we go through periods of doubt and darkness when we wonder what, if anything, God is doing in our lives.

On one of the pages of my Bible are written these words: “Never doubt in the dark what God has told you in the light.” The assurance from Psalm 1 that God watches over our paths proactively is a “light” thing that holds us close even in the dark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone