The BEST

Google Images
It’s amazing how many things we experiment with in our quest to find satisfaction in life.

Since I woke up this morning the words of this worship song have been running through my head:

KNOWING YOU

All I once held dear built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this


(Chorus)
Knowing you, Jesus knowing you
There is no greater thing
You’re my all, you’re the best
You’re my joy, my righteousness
And I love you, Lord


Now my heart’s desire is to know you more
To be found in you, and known as yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All surpassing gift of righteousness

Oh to know the power of your risen life
And to know you in your suffering
To become like you in your death, my Lord
So with You to live
And never die.

(Graham Kendrick)

By the time Jesus ended His discussion with the crowds that had followed Him, recorded for us in John 6, many people decided that knowing Him wasn’t the greatest thing at all. They hadn't gotten what they wanted from Him with the result that they rejected what He had offered, what He knew they needed most. Jesus turned to His disciples and asked if they too were thinking of leaving (John 6:67). Peter, answering for the rest (or at least 11 out of the 12), said: “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life” (John 6:68).

I wonder if any of those who walked away in John 6 came back to Jesus later when they discovered that what they thought they wanted didn’t really satisfy at all?

As I thought about this passage this morning, I realized just how hungry I am for hearing those words of life, for being taught the Scriptures rather than a stream of human philosophy lightly brushed with a verse or two to “sanctify” that philosophy.

It is in hearing HIS words that life is found. It is in knowing HIM more intimately that the soul is filled to satisfaction. He is the best, and there is no acceptable substitute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone