Does Anyone Know Where the Terminal Is?

Google Images
The bus had no recognizable markings but I was assured that it was going where I wanted to go. The driver couldn’t figure out how to lower that first step so I struggled to make that leap that would get me on board. I heard him talking to someone on his cell phone asking for instructions. I also heard him ask what streets he should use to get out of Toronto. He was heading west so I knew that at least we were going in the right direction.

When we got to our destination, various passengers began to ask him to let them off  the designated stopping places along the way to the terminal. He didn’t know where those were so had to rely on the passengers to tell him exactly where they wanted to get off. The driver was extremely pleasant and cooperative—a Santa Claus with a long white beard and the belly to match. He just didn’t know exactly where he was going.

But I really began to be concerned when he called back to the passengers and asked if any of us knew where the bus terminal was! Fortunately someone did.

It helps when the driver knows how to get to his destination.

An Ethiopian eunuch was on his way home. As he traveled he passed the time reading from the book of Isaiah. However, he didn’t understand what he was reading. He was heading in the right direction, but he needed a someone who knew where the “terminal” was.

Enter Philip, directed by God to find the eunuch on the desert road that led from Jerusalem to Damascus and then to shed some light on this official’s lost condition.

“‘Do you understand what you are reading?’ Philip asked. ‘How can I,’ he said, ‘unless someone explains it to me?’ So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him” (Acts 8:31, 31).

The eunuch was reading the passage that described Christ and His death on the cross. Philip was happy to point the man to the “terminal.”  The Ethiopian believed in Jesus and was baptized that very afternoon.

Everywhere we look there are people who don’t know their way to the “terminal,” who can’t find their way into relationship with God through Christ unless someone comes along who knows how to get there and can give them directions.

That’s our job. How are we doing at it today?

Comments

  1. Open my eyes, Lord, to see the lost people around me! I want to help lead people "home"! Thanks for the great reminder Lynda!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone