A Little More in the Tank

Google Images
Somewhere along the way I remember hearing that if a person runs on their reserves of energy for too long, he can use them up. Those reserves are not renewable resources. Once they are gone, they are gone for good, and there is nothing extra left to call on when the need arises.

As I was reading Psalm 18 this morning i remembered that tidbit of information. I don't know where I am in the scenario I just described (could be I'm simply still trying to convince an older body to maintain a younger pace!) but I was encouraged by David's thoughts.

"You, Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall...It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he causes me to stand on the heights" (Psalm 18:28, 29, 32, 33, NIV).

It's true. When I come to what seems to be the end, and feel as though I can't go any further, there always seems to be a little more "in the tank," as the Olympic commentators delighted to repeat, to take another step or two.

In the end, the reserves are not mine, or yours; they are God's to give as He sees fit. All we know, and all we really need to know, is that He will supply what is needed to do what He has assigned for us to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone