What to do When God Arrives

Every time I read these verses, I wish that I could experience them at least once in my lifetime.

"The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the Lord. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the Lord and sang: 'He is good; his love endures forever.' Then the temple of the Lord was filled with a cloud, and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the temple of God" (2 Chronicles 5:13, 14, NIV).

Have I been in inspiring services? Yes! Have I been reduced to tears because of the worship? Yes! Has the presence of God been so palpable, so obvious, that worship and service came to a halt because of it? I'm sure I would have noticed if I had.

What would be my response?

I hope it would like Isaiah's as described in Isaiah 6 as the sound of the music took on an angelic voice: "And they were calling to one another: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.' At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook amd the temple was filled with smoke. 'Woe is me!' I cried. 'I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty" (Isaiah 6:5, NIV).

When we see God, we also see ourselves as we really are.

In the presence of a holy God, a people must be made holy too. So it was that Isaiah was cleansed and forgiven (6:6, 7).

Then what else was there is do but surrender to God's will. "Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?' And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'" (6:9, NIV).

Isaiah didn't even ask where God was sending him. It didn't matter. Pension plans and perks were not discussed. When we "see" God in as much of His glory as He chooses to reveal to us—and as much of His glory as mere mortals can handle—trivialities fall to the ground.

In the presence of God there only remains surrender.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone