When I Am An Old Cat

What follows is a deviation from the usual fare of this blog, but it fit so well with what I just read on my friend, Vi Nesdoly's blog (http://vnesdoly.blogspot.com/2009/06/aging-warning.html). Like the cats, some of us do "loosen up" with age. I'm sorry I don't know who the author of this is, but whoever it is knows cats.

WHEN I AM AN OLD CAT

When I am an old cat I shall wear a diamond collar,
and leave my footprints
on white couches;
I shall drink cream with a touch of brandy
and spit out my vitamins;
I shall sit on the laps of dog people
just to irritate them;
I shall nap on top of the neighbor's petunias
and perch on the top of birdbaths
and grow charmingly chubby.

But for now I must tolerate the dog
and use my litter box
and not sharpen my claws on the sofa,
so no one can doubt the truth
that cats are superior to dogs.

But every once in a while I wonder
if I should be naughty now and then
and nip a few toes,
so my humans won't be too shocked when suddenly
I become an old cat
and start to wear
a diamond collar.

Perhaps there is a loose connection with today's verse: "Do to others as you would have them do to you" —Luke 6:31. When I am old and eccentric, I hope those younger and not so eccentric will have compassion on me, remembering that they too, might be just like me one day.

Comments

  1. Linda - are you familiar with the poem "When I am Old I shall wear purple?" I'm sure that's part of what this is based on. (Found it online: http://labyrinth_3.tripod.com/page59.html)

    I love BOTH of these pieces. And yes, a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I will post a link to this on the purple poem post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone