These Bad Knees Don't Like It Much, But I'll Do It …

Both yesterday and today, I encountered a couple of passages in my reading that ignited the flames of desire in me. Yesterday I read 2 Chronicles 4-6 and today I continued with chapters 7-9. All of these describe the celebrations and ceremonies that went on as King Solomon dedicated the temple he had built for the Lord.

In yesterday's reading I came upon 2 Chronicles 5:13, 14. The musicians have launched themselves full-tilt into worship. As the singers raise their voices toward heaven, the writer records: "Then the temple of the Lord was filled with a cloud, and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the temple of God." Then a little further on, after Solomon offers a wonderful prayer to God, the Scriptures record: "When Solomon finished praying, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices, and the glory of the Lord filled the temple. The priests could not enter the temple of the Lord because the glory of the Lord filled it" (2 Chronicles 1, 2, NIV).

The worship, the prayer, the petitions for forgiveness represented by the sacrifices, the people themselves, so blessed the Lord and fulfilled his expectations that he fell on the temple in such a way that the priests had to suspend their service because of God's presence in the house.

My desire? That God would be so pleased with his church today that he would once again descend on us with such power and majesty that our response would echo that of the Israelites: "When all the Israelites saw the fire coming down and the glory of the Lord above the temple, they knelt on the pavement with their faces to the ground, and they worshiped and gave thanks to the Lord, saying, 'He is good; his love endures forever'" (2 Chronicles 7:3, NIV).

Whatever it takes, Lord, whatever it takes.

_______________________________________

P.S. For those of you who remember my little Downs Syndrome friend from previous posts, I ran into her again this morning. She asked me my name which allowed me to ask hers. I hesitated on our previous encounters for fear that someone might think I was fishing for personal information for the purposes of exploited her. Anyway, her name is Kelly. And Kelly is now doing fewer loops around the neighbourhood because she has already lost 59 pounds! I told her, truthfully, that I admired her perseverance, for which she thanked me quite formally. I asked if she also dieted to which she responded that no, she just ate normal meals but limited her portions. Now she really is putting me shame! Anyway, our relationship is building as we continue our "encounters of the sidewalk kind."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone