God is Good—All the Time

Psalm 13-15

I have to admire the man. His brothers held him in contempt as an upstart and thrill-seeker. His father-in-law tried his best to kill him. He was pursued by enemies inside his own household and outside as well. He slept in caves, accompanied by everyone no one else had any use for. Even when he rose to the highest post in the land his family was in shambles and his wife and kids turned against him, adding a few more to the number of his enemies. He mourned the loss of several children and had to watch his back in his dealings with his most trusted advisers.

So when we read the following words we aren't surprised:

"How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? 
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Look on me and answer, O Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
my enemy will say, 'I have overcome him,' 
and my foes will rejoice when I fall."

If David had stopped there, we'd nod our heads in agreement and understand his sentiments completely. Haven't we all wondered where God was in those moments of crisis or pain in our lives?

But the last two verses of Psalm 13 are those that blow us away and cause us to admire Israel's "sweet singer."

"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. 
I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me."

There are so many wonderful things in these few words. This morning I see a future promise. David knows that God's love for him in the good times remains as strong and unyielding as it is now in the bad times. He understands that sometime in the future, God will deliver him from the pain and trouble he is going through expressed in his "How long, O Lord?" song.

Regardless of present circumstances, David can celebrate the security of his salvation. Nothing or no one can take that away from him even if they were to take away his life.

As well, David can praise the Lord in difficult circumstances because he can look back and see how God had acted in his life in the past. God has been good. He is still good. He will be good.

God never rebuked David for his laments, for those "How long, O Lord?" songs. As we read through the psalms we realize that those kinds of songs are plentiful. But as we read we also realize that the vast majority of the laments, the complaints, always end with an expression of faith in the God who is always good, even in the bad times.

Yes, I have to admire the man—and follow his example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Staying Put and Moving On

The Case of the Pilfering Peacock

Worry Walks Alone